Monday, April 9, 2012

From Pain To Healing (Part 2)

Before I start part 2; if you haven't read part 1, please scroll down and read part 1. That way you can understand what happened to me and what is now currently going on.

Ending of part 1: I don't remember anything after that, but throughout 2001, we went back and forth to hospital. We at one point had a Praise Party For Jesus, thanking him and believing that he would heal me. And in 2002, we got the news that I no longer had ITP. We were so happy and thanking God for healing me....but no-one expected that I would spend a lot of the next 7 years in my bed......

We had been totally relieved to know that God had healed me from ITP. And it was nice for me not to have to go to the hospital every Tuesday and get my finger pricked. But ITP was only the start of the pain. In 2002, I had started noticing that I was getting headaches, at first they weren't real bad, they were just the run-of-the-mill, annoying pains in your head type. towards the end of 2002, things took a turn for the worse. They started getting more painful and much more frequent, about 3-4 times a week. My parents had established a method of grading how bad the headaches were, from 1 (least amount of pain) to 10 (greatest amount of pain). My parents also got this sixth sense, where they could look at my face and ask if I had a headache. I would tell them and then we would go from there.


At the beginning of 2003, that's when the migraines hit. At first it was like this: regular headache 3-4 times a week with 1 maybe 2 being a migraine. Then, it suddenly changed, it turned from headaches 3-4 times a week, to 6-7 times a week. (Note: each headache last one day). The migraines went up too, from 1-2, to 3-4 times a week. And it ended up being....a migraine every day of the week. I had entered an incredibly painful state. My parents did everything they could, but the migraines kept winning. I going to give an example of one of those days: It starts out, I eat breakfast and the first headache starts. My mom asks me what number is it, I reply with a 2. But the pain increased very rapidly. From a 2 to a 10 in a matter of twenty minutes. I would move to my bedroom, close the door, barely turn on the radio, shut my blinds, and make my room as quiet and dark as I could. I would ask my mom to bring me hot/cold washcloths to put on my forehead. I would also ask for a "barf bucket". She would put a special white bell on my nightstand, to call her if I needed something. I would usually try to make it to the bathroom to vomit, but would be too tired and would not make it in time, so it would always be the barf-bucket that saved the day. I would take a scalding hot shower and pray and ask God to heal my head. I at one point looked at myself in the mirror walking very slowly from my room to the bathroom to take a shower. My face was extremely pale, my lips were chapped and cracking, my heart would race like crazy, at times my legs got very numb, where I could barely feel them, and it felt as if they had swollen up three times their size. I would feel very hot or very cold. The way I would move and the way my behavior was, and to the way I looked, you could say I was a zombie. My parents would call the Christian radio stations and The 700 Club (at Christian show my mom would watch) and ask them to pray with me. I wouldn't eat and would sip small amounts of water......

I started Tae Kwon Do when I was eight, and was still dealing with the migraines. Limiting me to what I could and could not do. Finally in 2009, my mom one day told me when I was in the kitchen, she said this: "I just realized you don't get migraines or headaches as often as you used to." And I knew she was right, I hadn't dealt with a migraine in over four months. We thanked God again for healing me.


Today, I rarely get headaches, migraines even fewer. But when I do, it's mostly because of allergies, and my sinuses getting inflamed and packed with gunk. I can sometimes get over them, but now, they are so concentrated in one part of my head, I want to do the same thing I did when I got the migraines. I still get the zombie look, but haven't had the numbness in my legs since I was younger. Over the years, my family has tried to figure out why I had so many migraines. The only reasonable answer we've been able to come up with, is that when I was being treated for ITP whatever medicine or treatment they did on me, had to have side-affects. And one of those we guess to be the migraines I went through. Our answer has never been confirmed or denied, but we know we'll most likely find out when we get to Heaven. That time in my life was difficult, but with much prayer, and faith in God to heal me, everything turned out just fine. 

1 comment: